Why Seed Mentors?
At Seed Mentors we have a deep understanding of the needs of small businesses. We know from experience that to be successful a young company needs more than money. It is just as important to have access to the right advice and expertise, probably at the very time that you can’t afford it!
That is why we are called Seed Mentors. We offer the companies that we invest in a Mentoring service when and where it is needed, across Finance, IT, HR, Sales and Marketing, and much more.
In fact it is so important that we make accepting this service compulsory, for each of the companies that we invest in.
The second area of fundamental difference is that the companies that we invest in have to earn the right to be included in our portfolio. Not only do they have to submit a detailed business plan. They also have to present their business idea to an experienced panel of business experts, and justify their approach. We also conduct our own due diligence and look for a managing director that has a minimum of 5 years’ experience in the relevant industry. Hundreds of business ideas that are sent to us every year.
A Track Record of Success
Since the launch of Seed Mentors in 2013, we have successfully launched and closed 8 SEIS funds.
These have included:
- Three General UK SEIS Funds. The third fund has now had two closes.
- A Dragon Seed Advantage SEIS Funds to support start-up businesses in Wales. This were run in partnership with xenos, part of Finance Wales.
- The Portillion Capital Shariah Compliant SEIS Fund. The UK’s first ever Shariah Compliant SEIS Fund, run in conjunction with Portillion Capital. This has had two closes
- An EIS fund to support the SEIS companies that need further investment to grow. This has already had two closes
Current open funds
Funds that are currently open include:
- The General SEIS Advantage Fund. This is open on an evergreen basis, with closes from time to time to allow for investing and obtaining tax relief.
- EIS Fund. We have launched an evergreen EIS fund to provide follow on funding for growth to selected SEIS companies that need it.
- The Boxing Advantage Company, launched in conjunction with the legendary Barry McGuigan. The Fund will invest in a portfolio of up and coming boxers. The boxers will be selected, trained and mentored by the McGuigan team.
Bespoke Funds for advisory firms
For financial advisory firms, Seed Mentors can also provide a white-labelled service giving you the ability to tell us what type of assets you would like to invest in, and together we can craft your own exclusive branded fund, managed under FCA regulations.